When you’re out in the international dating world it’s hard enough dealing with the local dating scene in your own town or surrounding area. You’ve all been in that situation where it’s difficult out there to meet a person that you feel connected with. Maybe you’ve gotten a bit discouraged and decided to try some international dating instead. This is not an easy situation and if you’re going to take this approach you must know the seven pitfalls of international dating.
- The distance will be an issue if you are considering international dating. No matter how hard you and your mate or try to deny all rationalize it for miles in the mean you will become a factor in your relationship. When you’re depressed and feeling alone you might normally go see your significant other. In an international dating situation that person is likely thousands of miles and oceans away so physical contact when you many times need it the most is not an option.
- You have no way of knowing what the other person is doing when they aren’t directly talking to you via the phone and/or Internet. Yes this may seem a bit paranoid but let’s be realistic here. Most people in this world are not the most trustworthy genuine people in the world. There are many people out there who are simply looking to scam others and waste people’s time, and some are even out to get money. So you’ll have to take this into consideration when you are considering international dating.
- You have no way of really verifying this person’s identity. International dating requires a lot of implicit trust on both sides. Some people will be out to take advantage of you and you have to watch out for that. If the pictures they send you are often very small or blurry or look like they were cropped then chances are you’re being scammed. What you should do is require them to get on a video chat service such as Skype, MSN messenger, Yahoo messenger, or AIM. Seeing them live in person on a moving picture is the only way to verify that they are who they say they are.
- Time differences will also become a factor with international dating. If they live in a far off European country or somewhere in the southern hemisphere are however far away they are the difference in time will present many issues. For example if you are in the United States on the East Coast and your significant other is in Australia that is a 16 hour time difference in some cases. That can make communication and having together time very difficult. One or the other is going to have to stay up to very late hours and this may restrict the amount of time and days in which you can even contact the other person.
- Cultural differences and barriers may very likely play a role in international dating situations. Cultural mores, values, traditions, and social behaviors vary greatly from culture to culture across this globe. You have to understand that the person you are dating comes from a very different upbringing and background, so there’ll likely be a learning period which may have its ups and downs and its own set of struggles. This can be a big stumbling block.
- Language issues are a big factor in international dating. Even if the two of you speak the same language such as English, there will likely be many terminologies dialects and speech patterns which you are not familiar with between each other. Something that may be common to the other person may make no sense or even be offensive to the person. You will need to understand that as a possibility and be prepared.
- The final pitfall of international dating is the decision of how it should progress. If things get serious and you survived through all the other pitfalls at some point the decision will have to be made of which one of you is going to move to accommodate the other. It requires getting a visa, work sponsorship, proof that the relationship is not fraudulent to state and government agencies etc. So if you are considering international dating be highly aware of all of these potential problems. Because if you don’t you may end up regretting ever getting into the situation to begin with, and end up feeling even worse than before.